Sunday 31 January 2016

Crafty Countdown - 17 days to go folks

By jove.  17 days!!

I'm going to have to be a bit of a skiver tonight, I'm sorry.  I'm full of a cold, and although I've been busy doing secret crafting all day, my mind is now utterly blank!!  I'll do two postings tomorrow instead.  I was going to do the shaving foam technique - but I haven't got any shaving foam - so that was an instant fail.

Instead, lets have a little chat, and reminisce.

For starters, someone asked me about my idea's for the challenges, and did they just pop in my head.  Sometimes, but like everyone, it's good to use the good old internet for inspiration.  For example, the egg shell challenge, I found the mosaic idea on pinterest, and had a go.  Once you learn a new technique, you can then experiment and change it.  This is what I love about the challenges - they take me out of my comfort zone.  And I do love experimenting.

If I'd have planned today's skive, I would have asked people to send questions in, a little bit of a craft clinic, meets truth or dare :)

However, I didn't plan, so I'm going to share some photo's and stories:

2013 haha, our very own Nigel May, and myself.  This was our first visit to the CHA, and my first visit to an IHop.  I LOVED it - the trip more than the Ihop.  If I remember correctly it was the first time C&C broadcast live from the CHA, so it was a big deal, and I was so honored to be part of the team.  I think I was lucky as well, as we didn't broadcast quite as many shows as they do now, so our days weren't quite as grueling. Obviously, for a crafter, the CHA is such an incredible show - there's so much to take in.  The first time I went was with Dawn, many years ago, and we had such a good laugh.  We went to Disney as well - I decided I wanted to stay there and be Piglet (from Winnie the Pooh).


The team.  Nigel is the best person at being able to bring everyone together, and we did bond with the American team.  Look at our Mr Bloodworth :) When I first started C&C John was brilliant.  I had only guested at QVC, and presenting is such a different beast.  John really helped me, and gave me the confidence I needed to do the job.  A good producer will be able to read their presenter - and understand when they need feeding information, if they need help to bring energy to a show - or alternatively when they need reigning in :) John is such an amazing crafter, therefore you trust his editorial, and he was always ready to help me if he could tell I was struggling.


The Neon Boneyard.  Aaaargh, this is so cool.  Myself and Nigel went off to Vegas after the CHA, and had such a good time.  The Neon Boneyard is where the old Neon signs go to die!  Sounds harsh doesn't it.  It's such a spooky place.  The photo's would make incredible scrapbook papers.  I loved hearing about the signs and the history of Vegas.  It was really interesting.  And they did use some incredible fonts :)


One more, otherwise I know I'll be here all night, and this is so self indulgent isn't it! I love going through old photo's.  I had to share one of my nephew, Charlie, brand new!  I was so happy Marianne asked me to be there for his birth.  It was a massive deal for me, to be there for my sister, to see Charlie, and to face a birth, after my own very traumatic experience.  It was very healing to be honest, as it allowed me to re-write the traumatic memories and emotions, with a very, very positive outcome.  And I felt that utter overwhelming love which you feel for a brand new baby. 



Right, I'm going to have another lemsip and trot off to bed I think. I promise tomorrow will be business as usual. 








17 comments:

michelle said...

sorry you're feeling poorly. After finding your blog and seeing the eggshell idea we have had a go today, after my daughter said "mum, that would be a good way to copy Antoni Gaudi". She's been looking at his work in art. Does sound very grown up when shes just 8. Well she's apparently had the "best day ever" and I've had great fun too. Even daddy had a look! Probably not the best piece created but its going to school tomorrow. Will look forward to more inspiration when you're feeling better

karenlotty said...

Sorry to hear you're unwell Really takes it out of you doesn't it Plenty of rest is needed it is lovely looking through old photos Last week I had to take a photo of ourselves as babies which meant going through my dearly departed mum's old albums I intend to do a box frameworks lovely photo of her and also put in some of her favourite pieces of jewellery And a poem I found she'd written in an old note book

Unknown said...

I'm often finding bits of writing in between pages of books,that my mum had done. They're not important answers to questions I wished I had asked, or anything, but it's lovely to see her handwriting. Hope you feel better soon Leonie.x

hollyberry said...

Sorry you are not well Leonie,it really gets you down and sucks all the energy from you. At least you got your secret crafting done,rather than none at all.
I love your crafting inspiration but also enjoyed seeing the photos and reading your memories,especially about being at the birth of your nephew. So very personal, thank you so much for sharing.

kittyedavies47@gmail.com said...

Hi Leonie.
I hope you are feeling better soon.
Your photos are lovely,especially the new baby.
so sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
Take care Kitty.

carol edwards said...

Hi Leoni I love how you have chatted away on your blog and sorry you have another cold, poor you. It's so hard when life takes you back to previous sadness and memories I have many. I am so glad this lovely time has helped you. Take care and get well soon.x

Wendy L said...

Poor you, I,ve just got rid of my second cold in two months, thanks to Grandkids. xxx

Patricia Howarth said...

Hi Leonie, Poor you !! I empathise, I have just got over my severe cold, it leaves your immune system very low. Here's hoping you soon are feeling better.
Lovely piccies of past CHA visits, I remember you went to Las Vegas.
I am so glad that Charlie has brought you to a 'happy place', I remember the time you speak of, and I remember Dawn (think she was at QVC then) telling us all on one of her shows, it was really devastating for you. I can empathise with you on that one too, I went through it twice, but unlike your experience, I did have mine with me for a number of very happy years before I was devastated on two separate occasions. I can understand how much Charlie means to you, and lovely that your Sister wanted you with her.
Lots of love to you from Patricia xx

Myra said...

Hello Leonie,
I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. Just rest if you can and get well ready for what lies ahead!
Xxx

Chris Patterson said...

That was a lovely blog post Leonie...hope you feel better soon xx

sheila joss said...

Thank you for sharing yourself and not only through your art x

Anonymous said...

So sorry to see you are poorly Leonie but such reminiscences. Think we have all been doing that today if you used to listen to Terry Wogan on the radio every morning. Keep warm best wishes Jackie x

Unknown said...

Sorry you are feeling poorly,you need to rest.Reading your blog is like catching up with a friend, you make me laugh out loud and then you make me want to weep for/with you.Just like friends do.Let's get you better and back on the telly,we miss you.

Tracy Welham said...

Lovely post and photos. Hope you feel better soon. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

lilian said...


Your pics are lovely, feel better soon
Lilian in Cornwall

Diane said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely photos. ... And the final one is priceless in so many ways x
It reminded me of holding my grandaughter for the first time and the enormous love I felt for her and the realisation that I could accept the happiness and love for her without it stopping the the love and joy I still feel for my daughter who is no longer on earth with me.
So brave and giving of you to share your precious moment with Charlie, I do hope you share many more joyous moments together and it will reinforce the love you have for your son. X x x x

jac777 said...

Sincere thanks Leonie :) A wonderful, being positive post. I share your feelings. Love Jac xxxz